The eCommerce solution by Bigcommerce is one of the leading and the most popular eCommerce solutions available today.
For those of you who don’t know: Bigcommerce is a paid-for, hosted eCommerce solution that allows business owners to set-up their online stores and sell products online.
It is a Saas (software as a service) product, which means that you don’t own the software. Instead, you pay a fee every month to be able to use it.
Your choice of online store platform has a huge impact on your online business. It can either help you expand your business and improve your sales, or it can negatively affect your business in the long run.
However, with numerous eCommerce solutions available, the eCommerce solution by Bigcommerce continues to top the charts. The question is – why?
What Is Bigcommerce?
Bigcommerce offers its users a wide array of customizable templates that help them design their store the way they want to. Bigcommerce can be used to sell both physical and digital products. Moreover, it also provides its users with certain tools that help them market their products too. All in all, the eCommerce solution by Bigcommerce is a one-stop solution to all your online store needs.
What makes Bigcommerce so popular is its simplicity. It is simple enough to be used by people who aren’t familiar with web design and coding. However, it features a level of complexity that allows more tech-savvy people to tweak the CSS and HTML of their online stores.
Bigcommerce Pricing Plans
If you are considering opting for Bigcommerce as your eCommerce solution, you may want to know what plans Bigcommerce has to offer.
It has four plans, which you can choose according to your business’ size, as well as your plans for expansion.
The standard plan is the cheapest of all the four plans that are offered by Bigcommerce. It costs $29.95/ month. Although it is more expensive when compared to starter plans offered by other platforms, it is a more comprehensive plan. Its annual sales limit is $50,000, but it provides all the features that you will need to set up your online store. These features include:
- A fully functional online store
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Sell an unlimited number of products
- Unlimited staff accounts
- Unlimited file storage
- Ratings and reviews
- Gift cards
- Automatic image optimization
- Professional reporting
The Bigcommerce Plus plan has an annual sales limit of $150,000 and comes with all the features that the standard plan has along with the following additional features:
- Abandoned cart saver
- A persistent cart that saves the products to the cart, regardless of the device being used
- Allows the customers to save their credit card details
- Customer grouping or segmentation that allows you to reward the customers based on their activities
The difference in features in this plan isn’t significant as compared to the Bigcommerce Plus plan. However, this plan comes with an annual sales limit of $400,000 with an additional fee of $150/month/200k in sales.
One feature that makes Bigcommerce Pro an attractive plan is Google Customer Reviews. This feature allows you to display your customers’ feedback on your online store.
Bigcommerce Enterprise is a plan for well-established, huge businesses with annual sales that surpass $1,000,000. This plan provides all the tools and features that the owner of a well-set business would need. The features, other than the basic ones, include:
- Advanced product filtering that allows your visitors to search for products in your store using custom fields
- Price lists, which enable the creation of pricing rules. With this feature, different groups of customers will see different prices based on how you have segmented them
- Unlimited API calls
- Priority support
- Bigcommerce account management/ consulting
Setting Up an Online Store with Bigcommerce
Setting up your store on Bigcommerce is super-easy and convenient, and this is one of the many reasons why the eCommerce solution by Bigcommerce is the choice of many businesses.
Bigcommerce asks for the name of your eCommerce store and your personal or business details to get started. Once you have signed up, you can move on to the ‘create my store now’ option. Before you move ahead, Bigcommerce offers an on-screen tutorial that helps you get familiar with the basic features.
The dashboard is the main control panel. The interface is well-designed. It provides all the important information like site traffic, recent orders, and revenue. You can access your customers’ information, products, content, analytics, etc. with just a single click from the sidebar.
Designing Your Store
You can design your online stores using the available templates. All the designs are mobile-friendly, which allows the store to be accessed from a mobile phone. Bigcommerce offers 10 themes that you can choose from without any additional charges. You can always get access to more themes for a price. The customization option comes with all the themes, free or paid, allowing you to set up a store as per your wishes and needs.
Adding/ Editing Products
You can add new products or edit the ones already listed through the Products tab on the sidebar on the left of the dashboard. You need to fill in the following parameters for each product:
- Tax class
Launching the Store
Once you are certain that your store is ready for the world to see in terms of design, content, and product lists, you can click on the ‘Launch Store’ button on your dashboard.
A few things that you should be mindful of before launching your online store are:
- Setting up a payment method
- Adjusting currency based on the country you are located in
After you have taken care of all the settings, your store has been set up and is ready to be launched!
Pros of the ECommerce Solution by Bigcommerce
- Bigcommerce offers you outstanding tools that can greatly assist you in your store management endeavors. These include product management, order management, analytics, and everything that you will need to run your store.
- It allows Adwords integration and coupons, which helps when it comes to marketing your store.
- It is cheap, considering all the features it comes loaded with.
- Bigcommerce provides 24-hour support to help you with anything at any time of the day.
- You can integrate your store with different platforms such as Facebook, QuickBooks, MailChimp, eBay, etc.
- You can use many currencies at the same time.
- There is no limit to the number of products that your store can have.
- There is no limit to the number of customers you can serve.
- It allows you to not only take orders but process them, print packing slips and invoices and handle everything till the order has been completed.
- Its analytics module is exceptionally good and provides information on your orders, customers, revenue, traffic, purchase funnels, conversion rates, abandoned carts, and much more.
- It comes with a homepage carousel feature.
Cons of the ECommerce Solution by Bigcommerce
- Only 10 themes are available for free. If you wish to go premium and get more, themes can be as expensive as $250 a theme.
- The homepage is not very easy to adjust. The text content is treated as a banner, which is not very intuitive.
- The homepage carousel is only functional after a lot of trial and error. It takes a bit of fiddling around with it to get the hang of using it.
- The design adjustment is not as predicted every time, and the browser may even freeze a couple of times.
- You have to pay a transaction fee (1.5%) if you purchase the Bigcommerce Standard plan worth $29.95/month
The pros of Bigcommerce clearly outweigh the cons, which is why it is right to say that the eCommerce solution by Bigcommerce definitely lives up to all the hype!